Tuesday, May 17, 2011

University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Dairy Store: Taste Nebraska’s History


As a recent graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and proud Nebraskan, I must pay tribute to the East Campus Dairy Store. As one of my favorite cafes in Lincoln, its menu is simple yet refined.

The UNL Diary Store has been selling its dairy products since 1917 and even more delicious than the homemade and local products are the Dairy Store’s ideals of assisting food-processing business in Nebraska and promoting the idea of value added products in our economy.

In my five years of college, I didn’t seem to have any of my classes on the University’s East Campus location. When the Dairy Store began selling its ice cream at the City Union during my sophomore year, there really wasn’t any reason for me to venture out. I found there was no better way to spend a rainy day, sunny day, game day, holiday or ordinary day, than with a dish of the Dairy’s Store’s ice cream. Their creamy, homemade ice cream was remarkably pleasing and became a special part of my everyday.

It didn’t take long for me to sniff out the mother ship. With my fiancé frequenting the University’s East Campus for classes, lunch breaks and studying, I decided I needed to scope the scene. One afternoon he invited me for lunch at the East Campus Dairy Store. I am not opposed to ice cream for lunch, but I suggested grabbing a sandwich somewhere first and heading to the Dairy Store for dessert. To my surprise, he raved on about the Dairy Store’s hot dogs, nachos and deli sandwiches among different daily deals and of course, ice cream! His overwhelming excitement had me convinced.


As I opened the doors to the East Campus Dairy Store, I stepped into a haven of fresh cheeses, milks, ice creams, soups, salads, sandwiches and sides. Ever since then, it has been my go-to lunch spot. My sister Ally is now a second-year law student and my twin sister, Anne, will begin Law School here at UNL in August. Today, Ally and I decided to treat her to the East Campus Dairy Store for a formal initiation as a Husker.


Anne and I first chose the fresh Garden Salad, a bed of lettuce adorned with homemade dairy store cheese, hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, turkey and ham. We also enjoyed the Chicken Tortilla Soup, served with tortilla chips. It was spicy, creamy and deliciously cheesy.
Finally, we had to try the special of the day- Chicken Penne Pesto Pasta. It also had great flavor from its fresh and quality ingredients. The thick chunks of tender, grilled chicken could stand alone but were better off smothered in pesto and tousled with penne pasta. The three of us were absolutely satisfied with the Dairy Store’s premium ingredients that tasted great and made us feel great. It was then time for the main event.


Several spoonfuls later of taste-testing each flavor, my sisters both went with their usual favorites, Scarlet & Cream. This is the Dairy Store’s spin on the Strawberries & Cream flavor, with the addition of Nebraska pride. I also went with my favorite, Cookies & Cream, but I have yet to try a flavor I don’t like. The consistency of their ice cream is thick, soft, creamy, flavorful and remarkably light.

The Dairy Store also has the best happy hour deal around. Monday through Friday from 2:30pm – 3:30pm enjoy a different Daily Ice Cream Happy Hour Special! They have a wide spectrum of flavors from the Classic Vanilla and Chocolate to many unique and rotating flavors like Chocolaty S’mores and Margarita Sherbet.
The company is just as cool and fresh as its cuisine. We pulled up a table for three of our friends to join us on their lunch break from Dental School. Unfortunately they had to head back to class while we took our cones outside to enjoy them under the sun ☺.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I miss the dairy store. England doesn't quite supply the ice cream like the Hewit does, sadly. But I love your blog carly, its absolutely adorable!! I wish I wasn't a picky eater, but unfortunately I am. So, I choose to live vicariously through you and your blog to find good restaurants without actually having to branch out and try them.
    P.S. I cant believe you graduated!! Congratulations :))

    ReplyDelete