Monday, March 14, 2011

Open Harvest of Lincoln- proving nutritious to be delicious!

Okay, I will admit it that I am a little bit of a health nut. It has been an unintentional transformation (most noticeably in my eating preferences) through my own athletic experiences and the help of my sister’s influence. My health nut habits have led me to discover the power of super foods such as nuts, whole grains and berries. It is true, these super foods are the super heroes behind my athletic performance and healthy lifestyle. Throughout my soccer career, I have acquired a great deal of nutritional information from various nutritionists, working hard to provide myself and other athletes with adequate fuel and knowledge to preform at the highest level. I can personally attest to the reaping benefits of a balanced diet for higher energy levels, resistance to sickness, muscle building and repair and an overall better mood, among many other things. My body now craves fresh and delicious grains, fruits, vegetables and lean meats. While I don't maintain the same rigorous schedule I did while playing soccer, I do try to stay active and my diet allows me to do so. When I am in a rush, I know I can’t get a quality meal that is delicious and healthy just anywhere. I can always guarantee an excellent meal from the deli at Lincoln’s Open Harvest Natural Foods Cooperative Grocery. Since 1975, they have been providing Nebraska with high quality natural foods in their groceries, produce, bakery, deli, supplements, gifts and many others– with a mission to provide good health through good nutrition.
This Friday was the first Friday of the Lent season. Over my lunch break, I was starving and in the mood for something satisfying, tasty, fresh and meatless. I do love meat, but I chose to take this opportunity to be a disciplined Catholic, and to discover a unique alternative. It didn’t take long for me to find myself nearly drooling behind the deli counter of Open Harvest, located on 1618 South Street. Their deli prepares all items on site, using no preservatives or artificial flavors. They also incorporate organic produce in their menu items whenever possible.
I keep coming back for their changing daily specials on soups and entrees. Besides their yummy vegetarian and vegan options, they offer an assortment of meat and seafood dishes, salads, soups, tofu dishes, made-to-order sandwiches, burgers and burritos. The best part is that you can bring a deli case home to the family or grab an individual order on the run! As you can see, I had a hard time deciding between the assortment of colorful, fun and tasty salads.

So, I narrowed it down to three and that was the best I could do. The first was the Alpha-Omega Salad. The Alpha-Omega Salad is made with carrots, red onions, red and green peppers, parsley, chives, peas, cranberries, sunflower seeds, red wine vinegar, leon juice, olive, canola and flax seed oil and garlic. It had the loveliest array of bright vegetables to give it a fresh and savory crunch.

The next salad I tried was the Santa Fe Barley Salad. This salad was made with barley, corn roasted peppers, pumpkin seeds, green onions, jalapenos, cilantro, canola and olive oil, lime juice, cumin and taco seasoning. It had a softer texture and a slightly spicier taste.

The last salad I tried was the Moroccan Couscous. This one was my favorite! It was made with couscous, garbanzo beans, red onions, red bell peppers, cashews, green onions, cilantro, currants, olive oil, honey, white wine vinegar, curry powder, garam masala, cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. I loved the texture of the tiny grains in my mouth, seasoned with Indian spices and a hint of sweetness.

It was also difficult to decide between the seafood and vegetarian sandwich and burger options, but I finally went with the spinach burger. It was an excellent choice. The patty had a unique and flavorful texture. It didn’t need to be dressed in additional sauces and spices because the patty itself was so flavorsome. As a meat-burger alternative, it is the best I have had.

It is a far better option than your everyday veggie burger. I regret not having more time to visit the bakery section, but I know I will be back soon. My visits to the Open Harvest deli always deliver a wholesome, filling meal that give my mind and body nourishment. Most importantly, it is always a pleasure for my taste buds. I usually grab my order to go, but they do have a few tables to sit and enjoy my meal there.

Check out their website for exciting news and events at the Open Harvest!! http://www.openharvest.com/. And to learn more about super foods, check out one of my favorite sources here, http://www.foodmatters.tv/_webapp/superfoods.

No comments:

Post a Comment