Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Oven: an authentic Indian experience with sentimental value and superior quality

I was delighted to spend a night of quality “bonding” with my dad this past Wednesday. Being the popular guy that he is, this was quite a rare occasion. It did occur to me that the rest of my family was out of town for the week, but I chose not to dwell on this fact. Instead, I chose to capitalize on it–Dinner date!

We had 7:00 pm tickets to hear Laurie Garrett speak at the Lied Center for the E.N. Thompson Series on Globalization. When my dad asked if I wanted to go, my response was something along the lines of, “I would love to. I’ll meet you at The Oven at 6:00 pm!” The Oven specializes in Northern Indian Cuisine in a clay oven called the Tandoor. Their authentic Indian dishes are distinctively created from a collection of different spices such as cumin, turmeric, coriander, cloves, cardamom, cayenne pepper, garlic and ginger and many more.

Knowing my dad would be arriving a few minutes late, I cozied myself into a corner booth and ordered a Darjeeling tea. It didn’t take long for me to warm up and settle down as I enjoyed a few moments alone, just listening to the music’s soothing, quiet beats and inhaling the aroma of Indian spices. I absolutely love their décor of Indian murals and artwork, and of course the high ceilings and brick walls that reflect the historic Haymarket’ style. Their dim lighting and candle-lit tables create a romantic and quiet ambiance that instantly allows me to relax.

By the time my dad had arrived, we were a little pressed for time. We wanted something warm and satisfying, but nothing too heavy– I had the perfect order in mind for us. I started us off with the Spinach Bread.
I usually get either the Paneer Kulcha- a naan stuffed with fresh cheese, onion and coriander, and served with mint chutney, or the Paneer Kulcha- a naan stuffed with cashews and raisins. Their different Indian Breads are each delicious and unique. I love trying a different one each time so I asked the waitress for a recommendation of her favorite. I’m glad I did, the Spinach Bread was wonderful! This naan was a generous in size and flavor, stuffed with spinach, paneer, cream cheese and Indian seasoning. Fresh out of the oven, it was soft, light, buttery and full of flavor. Next, I ordered us the Mulligatawny Soup. It is made from curried lentils and vegetables, garnished with rice and cilantro. It has just the right touch of each ingredient to create a smooth texture, leaving you with a tangy, lemony bite in every spoonful.
While just the soup and naan make a spectacular meal that is light and reasonably priced, I almost never make a visit to The Oven without indulging in one of their delicious entrees. Their menu features a wide variety of tandoori meats, vegetarian entrees, rice specialties, curries, Indian breads and naans. Their meats are slow-simmered and tender. I highly recommend trying their lamb! If you don’t think you like lamb, they will surprise you. Yes, even all of you Nebraska-beef lovers. And for all of you vegetarians, the Vegetable Korma is fantastic. But for anyone and everyone, the Mulligatawny soup is a MUST. The flavors of their dishes are each distinct and exquisite. You can’t go wrong with anything on the menu. A few of my favorites are the Chicken Madera, in a coconut-based sauce, the Chicken Tikka Makhani, in a tomato/butter based sauce and the Chicken Bhuna, with green peppers and jalapenos in a Curry Sauce! Finally, the Oven’s extensive wine list is always a highlight for anyone with a sophisticated taste for wine. The Oven has been recognized by the Wine Spectator Magazine's Wine Spectator Best of Excellence Award.
My family’s relationship with The Oven goes way back. Ever since I can remember, my Grandpa Bud has been spoiling my sisters, cousins and I with what I consider to be the “ultimate Husker experience.” It begins in the morning, just outside of Memorial Stadium, where we listen to the UNL marching band’s performance and eventually follow them into the football game. At half time, we take a visit to the Nebraska Bookstore. The real treat for me is always after the game, when we follow the rowdy mass of Husker fans (eager to celebrate a win) to the downtown Haymarket district. The perfect way to end a jam-packed day of excitement is to enjoy the Oven’s relaxing atmosphere and exquisite authentic Indian cuisine. I will certainly take any and every opportunity to eat there, especially with my family. We often order a variety of dishes and pass them around family-style, that way we get to taste their many different flavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment