Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Crescent Moon Coffee: Cozy in With a Tasty Crepe!

It is already that time of the year again. You know, when bike paths are exploding with joggers, sorority girls are tanning in their front lawns, the freshmen in the dorms are creeping out of hibernation and spilling into the basketball and tennis courts... Life is good. I hate to be the downer on Spring Fever but when that sun goes down, the party is over. We all know we will be trading our bikes for books in the quietest corner we can find, desperately cramming for finals and binging on caffeine.

Downtown Lincoln offers some great coffee shops where you can enjoy an excellent cup of Joe and maybe a delicious pastry, but when you need a quiet place to study or relax, your options become quite limited (especially during finals). I would be selfish not to share with you my most recent and favorite study spot. The Crescent Moon is a hidden gem in Lincoln’s historic Haymarket district.

It quietly sits caddy-corner to The Mill and Scooter’s Coffee Shops, tucked away in the lower level of the Apothecary. The Crescent Moon Coffee has moved to this new location (just across the street from its old spot), offering the same selection of coffees, juices, teas, gifts and food. This new and central location has given them more room to exhibit their live musical and reading performances, catering to their loyal clientele.

It is quaint, rustic and most awesomely quiet.

I love their vintage brick walls, decorated with local artwork and shelves, full of books. They have some of the friendliest baristas in Lincoln, but the best thing about The Crescent Moon is that they offer my absolute favorite breakfast item that is almost nowhere else to be found in Lincoln. Crepes! Both savory and sweet!
Let me tell you, their made-to-order crepe is very tasty. I like mine stuffed with eggs, peppers, onions and cheese, and spiced with oregano and basil. The thin pancake-like layers are delicate and soft. The crepe is a generous size, light and fresh to fill you up but not hold you down.

It is perhaps the coziest coffee shop to study at. I could spend the entire day studying there with only my books, computer and a mug full of coffee. Sadly, they won’t let me.

My only complaint is of their unusual hours. The Crescent Moon opens at 8:00am Monday – Friday until 1pm, and then again at 6pm-11pm. This isn’t very favorable for the early bird or the night owl. Unfortunately many people are well on their way to class or work at 8:00am. For the average procrastinator like myself, 11pm is a little bit early. Even one extra hour before opening and another hour after closing would suit my schedule well. Their weekday closing time at 1pm especially bothers me. Every once in a while, I like to enjoy an afternoon reading or doing schoolwork in a coffee shop. The Crescent Moon would be a perfect candidate; however, they close at 1pm so I rarely consider unpacking my bag of books and making myself comfortable. There is nothing worse than disrupting a critical study session or Skype-date!

Although, it might be better to get a little bit more shut-eye before final exams. If you are looking for a coffee-fueled homework setup, you must try the Crescent Moon. It is the perfect place to focus on your work. If you need a study break, swing by the book shelves, snack on a delicious crepe, or even gather around the entertainment of their Music Series and Reading Series! Cheers to you and your studies!

1 comment:

  1. I agree!! Super Crepes, and Paninis now -- tried those?? and music 4 or 5 nights a week, plus poetry and prose on mondays --

    ReplyDelete