Friday, April 15, 2011

Maggie's Vegetarian Cafe: Eat well, live well, be well.

A vegetarian experience so inspiring and exciting that even Nebraska’s most die-hard-beef-lovers are gushing over Maggie’s Vegetarian Café.


Named after its owner, Maggie Pleskac, Maggie’s Vegetarian Café is an all-natural, from-scratch kitchen that uses local and organic ingredients whenever possible. Their secret for quality and flavor comes from seasonal foods that guarantee freshness. Maggie’s menu changes with the seasons, but their creativity, originality and culinary expertise always remain constant. With a philosophy of, “Eat well, live well, be well,” Maggie’s Vegetarian Café keeps its customers and the community in its best interest. In my opinion, their philosophy is quite modest. I regularly visit Maggie’s to “Eat the Best and Feel the Best.”

The space is small and cozy with no more than four tables inside and a few more on its outside patio. The personality of its atmosphere reflects the same personality you taste in the food; one that is fun, eccentric, fresh and wholehearted.
The lime green and brick walls are adorned with photos and events of local businesses and farmers. They kindly remind you that your support is sincerely appreciated.

Without further adieu, let me introduce you to the food…

Maggie’s menu features soups, salads, wraps, pizza, frittatas, un-fried falafels, spicy hummus and artisan flatbread. Get there early for a muffin fresh out of the oven, or even for a warm breakfast burrito! The Breakfast Burrito is made with local free-range eggs, seasonal fillings, tomatoes, onions and cheese. This is one of several menu items that is served warm. Another tasty entrée, served fresh from the oven that I highly recommend is the Roasted Vegetable Pizza. It is an 8” artisan crust lavishly covered in local and seasonal oven-roasted vegetables, smoked provolone and mozzarellas cheeses.

I love trying their daily specials. Greeted by a cool, April shower today, Maggie’s Tomato Curry Peanut Soup was just the thing for my friend Joslyn and I to warm up to!
The smooth, thick consistency was embellished with tomatoes and onions, and garnished with peanuts on top. It had a spicy kick that was well balanced with the curry and peanut flavors.

I also ordered the frittata and salad. Today’s frittata was made with Spinach and Swiss chard. I had to close my eyes for each savory bite. It was that good. I chose the Sesame Tofu Salad as my side.
Its organic oven-baked tofu with sesame seeds completely changed my attitude on tofu. The tofu was firm, nutty and slightly sweet, served on top of local organic greens, carrots, tomatoes, onions and cucumbers, and dressed with a home-made toasted sesame dressing. I must commend Maggie for this brilliant creation. Salads are all too often disappointing with bland flavor and creativity. As with all of her menu items, Maggie seems to make this salad unique and most importantly delicious.

Joslyn tried the Cranberry Blue Walnut Salad, served with organic greens, blue cheese, cranberries, and toasted walnuts, and tossed in a light, balsamic dressing. This salad was also tasty and fresh.

I have never been good at window-shopping, but the glass window displaying Maggie’s magnificent variety of vegan muffins, scones and cookies is an undeniable trap.
I have yet to exit Maggie’s Café without a delicious vegan pastry in my hand or in my tummy. Everything is made in-house with certified organic ingredients, and the flavors change weekly! My most recent favorite is the Aztec Chocolate Muffin! The muffins are large enough to share with company (but you might want it all to yourself) ☺. Today however, it was the sugar cookie that was calling my name. It was just what I needed to please my sweet tooth– thick, soft, chewy and just the right size after a plentiful lunch.

I couldn’t have been happier with my lunch choices today; each had an entirely different flavor and exceptional way of satisfying my taste buds. The fact that Maggie’s ingredients are enriched with health benefits for my mind and body is just an added delight. I pay an extra dollar or two at Maggie’s Vegetarian Café for many good reasons. The delicious and quality food is well worth my money, but the noble contribution I know I am making to the community is priceless.

Now let me tell you how cool Maggie is! Maggie was inspired by Julia Child and her passion for food took her traveling along the West Coast, learning and working at natural food coops and farmers markets. Upon Maggie’s return to her hometown of Lincoln, Nebraska, she decided to open a café. Since opening in 2000, Maggie’s Vegetarian Café has grown in business, popularity and recognition among its own Lincolnites, restaurants, and local farmers- whom she uses as her main suppliers. Her very own garden also supplies the kitchen with many of its fresh vegetables and spices. Maggie’s Vegetarian Café is committed to supporting sustainable agriculture and a slow food approach by serving locally-produced, hand-crafted and artisan products. Maggie Pleskac is active in influencing and fighting for sustainable principles and policies that guide the agricultural industry. She is also one of the founding members of Slowfood Nebraska and a member of Buy Fresh Buy Local Nebraska. Yep, she is kind of a big deal.

Located on 311 North 8th Street, Maggie’s is open Monday through Saturday from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.

3 comments:

  1. Carly, I think this is my favorite one yet. I miss Maggie's wraps so much!! You wrote a great review and the food looks amazing. Miss you and see you soon! -- katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. i used to LOVE maggie's and would often run there and pick up their 3-cheese melt. their prices have gone UP, but you know you're getting real food when you go there, so you can feel okay about it. maggies is on my list for when i come back to LNK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree! While their prices have gone up you do know you're getting real food when you go there. I figure it to be a worthy investment– you are getting the freshest and tastiest ingredients that are also healthy for your body. Furthermore, beyond your investment in quality and health, you are investing in the community which is just as awesome. It is a win-win for everyone. Thanks for your comment! I am having fun reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete